Saturday, October 16, 2010

Dracula


When I was in 4th grade, I found a collection of books called "Classic Monsters" or something like that, in the school library. I remember looking through them and being fascinated. My favorite books were on Dracula, the Wolf Man, and the Mummy. The covers of the books were a worn, orange color with black lettering, and the pictures inside were all black-and-white stills from the movies they portrayed.
How fascinating! How terrifying! Look at the lovely girl, laying there helplessly! Where is her fiance when she needs him? I hope I am that pretty when I lay down for sleep! I wonder if Dracula will try to suck my blood! Perhaps he will not eat me like he ate Lucy. Perhaps he will kidnap me like Mina instead. He has been kown to do such things.
 You can't imagine the thrill these ideas send through an imaginative little girl. The very best part wa at the end, when Jonathan Harker saves Mina from the clutches of the count and they escape up the creepy staircase together.
Yesterday I did something I've wanted to do since 4th grade. No, I was not captured by Count Dracula. It would be very unfortunate for me if I was, since I have no dashing man to come save me in just such an event. (Any volunteers? Heehee)
I finally watched the original 1931 version of Dracula. I have never been so electrified by a movie. I knew the story backwards and forwards, I recognized all the characters immediately. I guess waiting 15 years to watch a movie makes for pretty good anticipation.
I love being a grown-up sometimes. If you want the 1931 version of Dracula, well by George, you just go and get it. And then you sit down and watch it!!
So if you want to come and visit me any time this month, be assured I will compel you to watch Dracula with me. You'll like it. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment