Friday, August 10, 2012

Hot August Nights



One thing that I really love about my hometown is all the events that go on thru the Summer. My favorite by far is Hot August Nights, which I used to think was a nation-wide, week-long holiday when I was a kid.

When I was little my mom used to dress my sisters and me up in poodle skirts, button-down blouses and bobby socks, and my Papa Dan would come by and pick us up in his old-fashioned blue convertible. I remember running out to him; out the front door and down the cracked concrete steps, thru the chain link fence and into his arms.  He had a laugh that came from his belly and blue eyes that truly sparkled when he was pleased. He was always pleased to see me.

He’d load my five thousand siblings into the old convertible and we’d head off into town, usually to Victorian Ave where we’d drive around and wave at everyone like beauty queens who’d just won a pageant, then we’d stop at A&W and Papa Dan would treat us to burgers, french fries and root beer floats, and when we were done we’d find a place along the sidelines and watch all the other retro-mobiles roar by. A few hours later Papa would return us to our mother, generally sleepy and sticky from root beer spilled down our chins.

It occurs to me as I write this that I have not gone back to Victorian Ave during Hot August Nights since Papa died. And that was eleven years ago, now.  Every year (that I’ve been in my hometown) during August, I see the Hot Rods cruise by and I always intend to go downtown, I guess I just never have. Next year, next year; I’ll have more time/money/reason to go check it out.

Well, I tell you what. I’m going to Hot August Nights this year, come hell or high water! I’ll get a buddy or a group of buddies together and we’ll wander around and have a margarita and breathe in the exhaust fumes and laugh and be happy. Time to make new memories. Time to seize the day; tomorrow might not actually happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment